1. In case you missed all the Twitter excitement, my next book has a title! WHERE SILENCE GATHERS. It took a very, very long time to come up with this one. I probably tried and tossed dozens of ideas. There were countless e-mails exchanged between me, my agent, my editor, and my critique partners in the relentless pursuit. The second-to-last suggestion had the words where and gathers in it, and Brian came up with silence. It just fit, and I'm so happy and relieved we finally found the dang thing. What do you think?
2. I turned twenty-one a few days ago. I didn't do anything too crazy - had a few drinks and laughs with some friends - but I did get this. It's for my cousin Jamie, who died of leukemia when she was twelve years old. As far as tattoos go, I think this is something I will never regret doing.
3. In other news, SOME QUIET PLACE was nominated for a 2014 BFYA award. Like how I said that so casually? Because, uh, I'm kind of still freaking out about it. This is surreal and incredible and it's completely an honor to be nominated for something like this. And the company I'm keeping on the list has me in awe. I keep thinking, Did someone make a mistake? There's no way my name can be on the same list as Gayle Foreman, is there? But they haven't e-mailed me yet with a "Just kidding" so it must be legit! So, so amazing.
4. School starts in twenty-four days. How on earth did that happen? Where did the summer go? I know I say this every year, but somehow it keeps surprising me, how fast the months go by. It's kind of terrifying, actually. It was an incredible summer, all things considered. BEA and New York, my first book was officially released, I got a job at a book store, I turned twenty-one, got a tattoo, and I finished my next book. How was your summer?
5. Out of all the exciting news and developments, this is probably one that is towards the top of the list. Ridiculous and frivolous, perhaps, but I haven't had a writing desk for over a year. But two days ago, a friend and me were walking past an antique shop, and this was sitting on the sidewalk. It's old, it's scuffed and tiny, and I loved it. They asked for $35.00, which I gladly paid. And I'm not the only one happy with this purchase, I think.
Have a great week, everyone!