1. I've made so many new friends this week. It's one of the reasons I love school so much. There are so many people on campus, so much potential. And one of these new friends gave me a moment, a feeling I'll never forget. We were sitting at the same desk on the first day of class, and we both got to talking about our writing. When she found out I have a book coming out next summer, she said, "I'm so glad I met you. You're proof that my dreams of being an author can come true, too." No one has ever said something like that to me, and it was just amazing.
2. Lately I've had to work extra hard to not succumb to the shiny new idea syndrome. Maybe it's a phase I'm going through, maybe it has something to do with summer ending, maybe this manuscript sucks, or maybe... I'm just a writer. The point is, I'm not going to do it. I will buckle down and finish this thing.
3. My sister was recently diagnosed with autism. She's a beautiful little girl who appreciates life more than anyone else I know. If someone out there also has a loved one who struggles with this - or if you yourself do - I want you to know you're not alone. There are so many resources out there to help and guide us. There are some people who don't understand it, and that's okay. All that matters is that we try and accept. My sister loves Dora just as much as the next girl, she sings just as loudly, laughs just as hard, and loves just as deeply. Autism isn't something to be feared... it's something to be embraced.
4. I absolutely cannot wait until I lay eyes on the cover for Some Quiet Place, you guys. My editor and I have been toying with a few ideas, and I think it's going to be fabulous. I don't mean to tease - because I honestly can't show you anything - but it'll be worth the wait. Promise.
5. This is my new favorite song.